Amarillo, Texas, is a vibrant city that offers a wide range of fun-filled activities for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re seeking family-friendly attractions, exciting adventures, or entertaining experiences for adults, Amarillo has something to offer. From exploring iconic landmarks to immersing yourself in the local culture, this guide will highlight the 15 best things to do in Amarillo. Additionally, discover the top activities for adults and find out what’s happening in Amarillo this weekend. Plus, we’ve included free things to do for those seeking budget-friendly options. Let’s dive in and uncover the hidden gems of Amarillo!
15 Best Fun-Filled Things to Do in Amarillo
- Visit Palo Duro Canyon State Park: Explore the second-largest canyon in the United States through hiking, biking, horseback riding, or scenic drives. Palo Duro Canyon offers breathtaking views and outdoor adventures for nature enthusiasts.
- Discover Cadillac Ranch: Marvel at the unique art installation featuring a row of half-buried Cadillacs. Grab a can of spray paint and leave your mark on these iconic cars.
- Explore the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum: Immerse yourself in the world of horse racing and learn about the history and significance of the American Quarter Horse breed.
- Enjoy the Wonderland Amusement Park: Experience thrilling rides, games, and attractions suitable for all ages at this family-friendly amusement park.
- Indulge in the Big Texan Steak Ranch: Try your hand at the legendary 72-ounce steak challenge or savor a delicious meal at this iconic steakhouse.
- Step into the Past at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum: Dive into the rich history and heritage of the Texas Panhandle through fascinating exhibits and artifacts.
- Take a Scenic Helicopter Tour: Soar above Amarillo and enjoy breathtaking aerial views of the city and its surroundings.
- Visit the Amarillo Zoo: Get up close and personal with a variety of animal species and enjoy educational exhibits and interactive experiences.
- Discover the Don Harrington Discovery Center: Engage in hands-on science experiments, explore space, and learn through interactive exhibits and demonstrations.
- Catch a Performance at the Amarillo Little Theatre: Enjoy live theater productions, musicals, and entertaining performances at this renowned community theater.
- Shop at the Historic Route 66 District: Stroll along the iconic Route 66 and explore vintage shops, art galleries, and local boutiques.
- Experience the Amarillo Botanical Gardens: Wander through beautifully landscaped gardens and discover a variety of plant species, including a Japanese garden and butterfly house.
- Visit the Kwahadi Museum of the American Indian: Learn about Native American culture and art through exhibits, performances, and storytelling.
- Satisfy Your Artistic Side at the Amarillo Museum of Art: Admire a diverse collection of art, including American and European works, as well as regional and contemporary pieces.
- Embark on a Wine Tasting Tour: Indulge in Amarillo’s burgeoning wine scene by visiting local wineries and vineyards for tastings and tours.
Things to Do in Amarillo on This Weekend
If you’re visiting Amarillo on the weekend, here are a few additional activities to consider:
- Explore the vibrant arts scene at the Galleries at Sunset Center, where you can admire local artwork and meet the artists.
- Attend a live music performance at one of Amarillo’s many venues, showcasing talented local bands and musicians.
- Enjoy a relaxing picnic at Thompson Memorial Park, which offers lush green spaces and a serene atmosphere.
- Check the local event calendar for festivals, fairs, and special events taking place during your visit. From rodeos to cultural celebrations, Amarillo has a lively calendar year-round.
Things to Do in Amarillo for Adults
While Amarillo offers plenty of family-friendly activities, there are also numerous options for adults to enjoy:
- Experience the thrill of skydiving with Amarillo Skydiving, where you can jump out of a plane and enjoy breathtaking views as you descend.
- Unwind and savor local craft beers at one of Amarillo’s breweries, such as Pondaseta Brewing Co. or Six Car Pub & Brewery.
- Test your golfing skills at one of Amarillo’s excellent golf courses, such as Ross Rogers Golf Complex or La Paloma Golf Club.
- Enjoy a night out at a local winery, where you can sample a variety of wines and relax in a charming setting.
- Take a leisurely stroll through Amarillo’s downtown district and explore the unique shops, restaurants, and bars.
- Challenge your friends to a game of bowling at Western Bowl or Eastridge Lanes, followed by some friendly competition at the arcades.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife at popular spots like Whiskey River or The 806 Coffee + Lounge, where you can enjoy live music, drinks, and a lively atmosphere.
- Attend a cooking class or food tasting event to explore the flavors of Amarillo’s culinary scene and learn new culinary skills.
- Indulge in a pampering spa day at one of Amarillo’s luxurious spas, where you can relax and rejuvenate with various treatments.
- Join a local art or pottery workshop and unleash your creativity while learning new artistic techniques.
Free Things to Do in Amarillo Today
If you’re looking for budget-friendly options, here are some free things to do in Amarillo:
- Visit the Amarillo Public Library and immerse yourself in a good book or explore their various free events and workshops.
- Take a scenic walk or bike ride along Amarillo’s extensive trail system, such as the Amarillo River Trail or John Stiff Memorial Park Trail.
- Explore the stunning beauty of Amarillo’s Palo Duro Canyon State Park without spending a dime. Entry is free, although some activities may require additional fees.
- Discover the art of Amarillo’s public murals and sculptures scattered throughout the city. Take a self-guided tour and appreciate the local creativity.
- Attend a community event or concert in one of Amarillo’s parks. Check local listings for free outdoor performances during your visit Things to Do in Amarillo.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of Amarillo’s historic buildings and districts, such as the Bivins Mansion or the Polk Street Historic District Things to Do in Amarillo.
- Visit the Amarillo National Bank Plaza, a public space that often hosts free events, concerts, and art exhibits Things to Do in Amarillo.
- Explore Amarillo’s Farmers’ Market and sample fresh local produce. Enjoy the vibrant atmosphere and support local farmers and artisans Things to Do in Amarillo.
- Enjoy a picnic at one of Amarillo’s many parks, such as Thompson Memorial Park or Medi Park.
- Take a scenic drive along Route 66 and enjoy the nostalgic charm of this iconic highway.
Read more:- Things to Do in Peru
FAQs: Things to Do in Amarillo Today
What is the best time to visit Amarillo?
Amarillo has a pleasant climate throughout the year. Spring and fall offer mild temperatures, making them popular seasons to visit.
Are there any famous landmarks in Amarillo?
Yes, Cadillac Ranch and Palo Duro Canyon State Park are two iconic landmarks that draw visitors from all over.
Can you hike in Palo Duro Canyon?
Absolutely! Palo Duro Canyon offers various hiking trails suitable for all skill levels, allowing you to explore the stunning natural beauty of the area.
Are there any water activities in Amarillo?
While Amarillo is not situated near large bodies of water, there are several lakes and reservoirs nearby where you can enjoy boating, fishing, and other water sports.
What are some family-friendly attractions in Amarillo?
Wonderland Amusement Park, Amarillo Zoo, and the Don Harrington Discovery Center are excellent choices for families with children.
Are there any art galleries in Amarillo?
Yes, Amarillo has several art galleries, including the Amarillo Museum of Art and galleries in the historic Route 66 District.
Can I find vegetarian or vegan-friendly restaurants in Amarillo?
Yes, Amarillo has a growing number of restaurants offering vegetarian and vegan options. You’ll find a variety of cuisines to choose from.
Is there public transportation available in Amarillo?
While Amarillo does have a public transit system, it is more convenient to have a car for exploring the city and its surrounding areas.
Are there any live music venues in Amarillo?
Yes, Amarillo has several live music venues, including Golden Light Cantina and Hoots Pub, where you can enjoy local bands and touring artists.
Can I take a guided tour of Amarillo?
Yes, there are guided tours available in Amarillo, such as city tours, historic tours, and even ghost tours, offering a unique perspective on the city’s history and culture.
Amarillo is a city filled with exciting attractions, natural beauty, and a lively arts scene. Whether you’re exploring Palo Duro Canyon, indulging in local cuisine, or enjoying family-friendly activities, Amarillo offers a diverse range of experiences for visitors of all ages. From adrenaline-pumping adventures to leisurely cultural explorations, there’s never a dull moment in Amarillo. So pack your bags, prepare to be amazed, and get ready to create unforgettable memories in this dynamic Texan city!
Follow us on facebook