Jekyll Island, located on the coast of Georgia, is a charming destination known for its natural beauty and rich history. Whether you’re visiting for a weekend getaway or looking for exciting activities to enjoy today, Jekyll Island offers a wide range of fun-filled options for visitors of all ages. From pristine beaches to outdoor adventures and cultural experiences, this article will guide you through the 15 best things to do in Jekyll Island. Additionally, we’ll explore adult-oriented attractions and highlight activities you can enjoy on your weekend visit. So, let’s dive in and discover the wonders of Jekyll Island!
15 Best Fun-Filled Things to Do in Jekyll Island:
- Relax on Driftwood Beach: Take a stroll along the unique and picturesque Driftwood Beach, famous for its wind-sculpted trees and stunning views. Enjoy the serenity and capture memorable photos in this natural wonderland.
- Explore the Georgia Sea Turtle Center: Learn about marine conservation and the fascinating world of sea turtles at the Georgia Sea Turtle Center. Discover interactive exhibits, rehabilitation facilities, and educational programs for all ages.
- Bike Around the Island: Rent a bike and explore the island’s scenic beauty at your own pace. Jekyll Island offers miles of bike-friendly paths, allowing you to soak in the coastal landscapes and charming neighborhoods.
- Visit the Historic District: Immerse yourself in Jekyll Island’s history by exploring the Historic District. Take a guided tour to learn about the island’s Gilded Age past, visit the historic Jekyll Island Club Hotel, and marvel at the architecture and gardens.
- Embark on a Dolphin Tour: Hop on a dolphin tour boat and venture into the waters surrounding Jekyll Island. Witness these playful creatures in their natural habitat and create unforgettable memories.
- Enjoy Water Sports at Summer Waves Water Park: Beat the heat and make a splash at Summer Waves Water Park. Experience thrilling water slides, lazy river floats, and wave pools, offering fun for the whole family.
- Play Golf at the Jekyll Island Golf Club: Tee off at one of the Jekyll Island Golf Club’s scenic courses. With 63 holes of championship golf, this is a golfer’s paradise, surrounded by stunning coastal scenery.
- Indulge in Fresh Seafood: Jekyll Island is known for its delicious seafood. Head to one of the local seafood restaurants and savor fresh catches like shrimp, oysters, and crab.
- Visit Horton House Ruins: Step back in time as you explore the historic Horton House Ruins. Learn about the island’s colonial past and discover the remains of this tabby structure built in the mid-1700s.
- Go Kayaking or Paddleboarding: Explore Jekyll Island’s waterways by renting a kayak or paddleboard. Glide through the salt marshes, spot wildlife, and enjoy the tranquility of the coastal environment.
- Take a Guided Segway Tour: Join a guided Segway tour and glide through Jekyll Island’s scenic paths and trails. This unique and fun-filled experience allows you to cover more ground while enjoying the island’s natural beauty.
- Discover the Jekyll Island Museum: Delve into the island’s history and heritage at the Jekyll Island Museum. Learn about its Native American roots, early settlers, and the impact of the Jekyll Island Club.
- Relish Beach Activities: Spend a day at one of Jekyll Island’s beautiful beaches. Build sandcastles, swim in the ocean, soak up the sun, and enjoy beachside picnics with family and friends.
- Explore the Maritime Forest Trail: Embark on a nature walk along the Maritime Forest Trail. Immerse yourself in the island’s lush greenery, listen to the sounds of nature, and spot native flora and fauna along the way.
- Witness Breathtaking Sunsets: End your day by witnessing breathtaking sunsets over Jekyll Island’s coastline. Find a peaceful spot along the beach, relax, and marvel at nature’s colorful display.
Read more:- Things to Do in Venice
Things to Do in Jekyll Island for Adults:
Jekyll Island offers plenty of activities tailored to adults seeking entertainment and relaxation. Here are a few suggestions:
- Indulge in Spa Treatments: Pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment at one of Jekyll Island’s resorts or spas. Enjoy massages, facials, and other rejuvenating services designed to enhance your well-being Things to Do in Jekyll Island.
- Experience Fine Dining: Explore the island’s culinary scene and indulge in exquisite dining experiences. From seafood specialties to farm-to-table cuisine, Jekyll Island’s restaurants offer a range of options to satisfy your taste buds Things to Do in Jekyll Island.
- Go on a Sunset Cruise: Embark on a romantic sunset cruise along the coast of Jekyll Island. Enjoy a leisurely sail, sip on refreshing beverages, and take in the breathtaking views as the sun dips below the horizon Things to Do in Jekyll Island.
- Play Casino Games on the Emerald Princess: Hop aboard the Emerald Princess, a casino cruise ship departing from Brunswick, Georgia. Try your luck at the gaming tables, enjoy live entertainment, and savor delicious meals during your voyage Things to Do in Jekyll Island.
- Attend Live Performances: Check out the event calendar for live performances and shows taking place on Jekyll Island. From concerts to theater productions, you’ll find entertainment options to suit your preferences.
Things to Do in Jekyll Island on This Weekend:
If you’re visiting Jekyll Island on a weekend, here are some additional activities to consider:
- Visit the Jekyll Island Farmers Market: Explore the local farmers market and discover fresh produce, handcrafted goods, and artisanal products. Support local vendors and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere.
- Attend Events at the Jekyll Island Convention Center: Keep an eye out for events and conferences happening at the Jekyll Island Convention Center. From trade shows to community gatherings, there’s always something happening on the island.
- Join Yoga Classes on the Beach: Unwind and find inner peace with beachside yoga classes. Several instructors offer sessions on Jekyll Island’s sandy shores, providing a serene and rejuvenating experience.
- Participate in Nature Walks and Talks: Jekyll Island hosts guided nature walks and educational talks on weekends. Learn about the island’s ecosystem, wildlife, and conservation efforts while enjoying the beauty of nature.
- Attend Art and Craft Workshops: Immerse yourself in creativity by joining art and craft workshops offered on the island. Learn new skills, unleash your artistic side, and create unique souvenirs to take home.
Free Things to Do in Jekyll Island Today:
If you’re looking for free activities to enjoy on your visit to Jekyll Island, consider the following options:
- Explore the Horton Pond Nature Preserve: Discover the beauty of the Horton Pond Nature Preserve, a 52-acre sanctuary featuring walking trails and diverse wildlife. Entrance to the preserve is free, allowing you to experience nature without any cost.
- Visit the Historic Faith Chapel: Step inside the historic Faith Chapel, a picturesque church built in 1904. Admire its charming architecture, stained glass windows, and tranquil ambiance.
- Take a Scenic Drive on the Island: Enjoy a scenic drive around Jekyll Island, exploring its coastal roads and breathtaking views. Capture memorable photographs and soak in the island’s natural beauty.
- Picnic at Great Dunes Park: Pack a picnic and head to Great Dunes Park, a lovely green space overlooking the ocean. Relax under the shade of towering trees, savor your meal, and enjoy the coastal breezes.
- Discover the Historic Tabby Slave Cabins: Learn about Jekyll Island’s complex history by visiting the historic tabby slave cabins. These restored structures offer insight into the lives of enslaved individuals who played a significant role in the island’s past.
What are the best outdoor activities in Jekyll Island?
Some of the best outdoor activities in Jekyll Island include visiting Driftwood Beach, exploring the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, biking around the island, and going on a dolphin tour.
Are there any hiking trails on Jekyll Island?
While Jekyll Island is known for its bike-friendly paths, it also offers a few walking trails. The Maritime Forest Trail and Horton Pond Nature Preserve are great options for nature walks.
Can I swim in the ocean on Jekyll Island?
Absolutely! Jekyll Island has beautiful beaches where you can swim in the ocean and enjoy beach activities.
Are there any golf courses on Jekyll Island?
Yes, Jekyll Island is home to the Jekyll Island Golf Club, offering several courses for golf enthusiasts.
Are there any art galleries or museums on Jekyll Island?
While Jekyll Island doesn’t have standalone art galleries, you can explore art exhibits at the Jekyll Island Museum, which showcases local history and culture.
What is the best time to visit Jekyll Island?
Jekyll Island is a year-round destination, but the spring and fall months offer pleasant weather and fewer crowds.
Are there any bike rental services on Jekyll Island?
Yes, you can easily rent bikes from various rental services on the island. They provide options for all ages and durations.
Can I go fishing on Jekyll Island?
Yes, fishing is a popular activity on Jekyll Island. You can fish from the shore or participate in fishing charters offered by local guides.
Are there any shopping areas on Jekyll Island?
While Jekyll Island doesn’t have large shopping centers, you can explore the Jekyll Island Beach Village for boutique shops and unique souvenirs.
Can I bring my pets to Jekyll Island?
Yes, Jekyll Island welcomes pets. There are designated areas where you can walk your pets, and some accommodations are pet-friendly.
Jekyll Island offers a diverse range of fun-filled activities for visitors of all ages. From exploring stunning beaches and historic landmarks to engaging in outdoor adventures and enjoying cultural experiences, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Adults can indulge in spa treatments, fine dining, and sunset cruises, while weekend visitors can explore local markets, attend events, and engage in yoga sessions. And the best part? Many of these activities are free, allowing you to create unforgettable memories without breaking the bank. So, pack your bags, head to Jekyll Island, and immerse yourself in the beauty and excitement of this captivating coastal destination.
Follow us on facebook