Montgomery, AL, is a vibrant city with a rich history, diverse culture, and a wide range of exciting attractions and activities. Whether you’re visiting for the weekend or looking for things to do today, Montgomery offers an abundance of fun-filled experiences for everyone. In this article, we’ll explore the 15 best things to do in Montgomery, including options for adults and free activities. Get ready to immerse yourself in the charm of this Southern city and create lasting memories.
15 Best Fun-Filled Things to Do in Montgomery, AL
- Explore the Alabama State Capitol: Begin your Montgomery adventure with a visit to the Alabama State Capitol, a historic landmark that played a significant role in the Civil Rights Movement.
- Visit the Rosa Parks Museum: Dive into history at the Rosa Parks Museum, dedicated to the courageous civil rights activist who sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- Tour the Dexter Parsonage Museum: Discover the former home of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his family, now transformed into a museum that showcases their lives and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Stroll through the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts: Enjoy a dose of culture at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, featuring a diverse collection of art, including American, European, African, and Asian works.
- Explore the Montgomery Zoo: Spend a day with wildlife at the Montgomery Zoo, where you can observe a variety of animals, including giraffes, elephants, lions, and more Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Take a Riverboat Cruise on the Harriott II: Hop aboard the Harriott II riverboat and embark on a scenic cruise along the Alabama River while enjoying live entertainment and delicious meals Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Discover the Legacy Museum: Delve into the complex history of slavery, racial segregation, and mass incarceration at the thought-provoking Legacy Museum Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Visit the Hank Williams Museum: Pay homage to the legendary country music singer-songwriter at the Hank Williams Museum, which showcases memorabilia and exhibits related to his life and career Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Enjoy a Montgomery Biscuits Baseball Game: Catch a thrilling baseball game at Riverwalk Stadium, home to the Montgomery Biscuits, the city’s minor league team Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Immerse Yourself in Nature at Blount Cultural Park: Spend a peaceful day at Blount Cultural Park, where you can explore the picturesque landscape, visit the Japanese Gardens, or attend a concert at the outdoor amphitheater Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Discover the Freedom Rides Museum: Learn about the courageous Freedom Riders who fought for equality at the Freedom Rides Museum, housed in the former Greyhound Bus Station Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Visit the Old Alabama Town: Step back in time at the Old Alabama Town, a living history museum showcasing restored 19th-century buildings and offering guided tours Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Experience the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra: Enjoy a captivating performance by the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra, featuring talented musicians and a diverse repertoire Things to Do in Montgomery.
- Shop and Dine at The Shoppes at EastChase: Indulge in retail therapy and savor delicious meals at The Shoppes at EastChase, a premier shopping and dining destination in Montgomery.
- Explore the Montgomery Riverwalk: Take a leisurely stroll or bike ride along the scenic Montgomery Riverwalk, which offers beautiful views of the river, parks, and downtown area.
Read more:- Things to Do in Bakersfield
Things to Do in Montgomery, AL for Adults
Montgomery offers a range of adult-oriented attractions and experiences. Here are a few suggestions for adults looking to make the most of their time in the city:
- Discover the craft beer scene: Explore local breweries such as Common Bond Brewers and Goat Haus Biergarten, where you can sample a variety of craft beers and enjoy a laid-back atmosphere.
- Indulge in Southern cuisine: Treat your taste buds to authentic Southern flavors at renowned restaurants like Central, Martha’s Place, and Chris’ Hot Dogs.
- Experience the Alabama Shakespeare Festival: Catch a captivating theatrical performance at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, one of the largest Shakespeare festivals in the world.
- Enjoy live music: Immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene of Montgomery by visiting venues like The Sanctuary, AlleyBAR, or Capitol Oyster Bar, where you can enjoy live performances ranging from blues to jazz and country.
- Try your luck at Wind Creek Montgomery: Test your luck at Wind Creek Montgomery, a popular casino featuring a variety of table games, slot machines, and entertainment options.
Things to Do in Montgomery, AL on This Weekend
If you’re wondering what to do in Montgomery this weekend, here are a few suggestions to make the most of your time:
- Visit the Montgomery Curb Market: Explore the bustling Montgomery Curb Market, where you can find fresh produce, local crafts, and delicious homemade treats.
- Attend a concert at the Montgomery Performing Arts Centre: Check the event schedule at the Montgomery Performing Arts Centre, which hosts a variety of concerts and live performances throughout the year.
- Explore the First White House of the Confederacy: Step into history at the First White House of the Confederacy, the former residence of President Jefferson Davis during the early days of the Confederacy.
- Enjoy the Riverfront Festival: If you’re visiting during a festival weekend, head to the Montgomery Riverfront for a lively atmosphere, live music, local food vendors, and family-friendly activities.
- Discover the Montgomery Flea Market: Browse through unique antiques, vintage items, and collectibles at the Montgomery Flea Market, held on weekends at the Multiplex at Cramton Bowl.
Free Things to Do in Montgomery, AL Today
If you’re looking for free activities in Montgomery today, here are some options:
- Explore the Riverwalk Amphitheater: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the Riverwalk Amphitheater and take in the scenic views of the Alabama River and downtown Montgomery.
- Visit the Montgomery Veterans Memorial Park: Pay tribute to veterans at the Montgomery Veterans Memorial Park, featuring memorials honoring those who have served in the armed forces.
- Take a self-guided walking tour: Explore downtown Montgomery at your own pace with a self-guided walking tour, discovering historical landmarks and architectural gems.
- Visit the Freedom Rides Museum: Admission to the Freedom Rides Museum is free, offering a powerful educational experience about the Civil Rights Movement and the Freedom Riders’ courageous actions.
- Enjoy the Montgomery Art Guild Gallery: Admire local art at the Montgomery Art Guild Gallery, showcasing works by talented artists from the region.
What is the best time to visit Montgomery, AL?
The best time to visit Montgomery is during the spring and fall seasons when the weather is pleasant, and outdoor activities are enjoyable.
Are there any annual events or festivals in Montgomery?
: Yes, Montgomery hosts several annual events and festivals, including the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Montgomery Riverwalk Wine Festival, and Jubilee CityFest.
Can I take a guided tour of the Alabama State Capitol?
Yes, guided tours of the Alabama State Capitol are available, providing insightful information about its history and significance.
Are there any hiking trails near Montgomery?
Yes, the nearby Blount Cultural Park offers nature trails perfect for hiking and enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
Are there any family-friendly attractions in Montgomery?
Absolutely! The Montgomery Zoo, Rosa Parks Museum, and the Legacy Museum are just a few of the family-friendly attractions in the city.
Can I rent a bike to explore the Montgomery Riverwalk?
Yes, bike rentals are available near the Montgomery Riverwalk, allowing you to explore the area on two wheels.
Are there any art galleries in Montgomery?
Yes, apart from the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, the Montgomery Art Guild Gallery showcases local artwork and is worth a visit.
Can I attend a live sports event in Montgomery?
Yes, you can catch exciting minor league baseball games at Riverwalk Stadium, home to the Montgomery Biscuits.
Are there any free parking options in downtown Montgomery?
Yes, there are free parking options available in downtown Montgomery, particularly on weekends and holidays.
Can I bring my own picnic to Blount Cultural Park?
Yes, you are welcome to bring a picnic to Blount Cultural Park and enjoy a relaxing outdoor meal.
Montgomery, AL, offers an array of exciting and fun-filled activities for visitors of all ages. From historical landmarks and museums to outdoor adventures and cultural experiences, this city has something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in exploring the city’s rich history, enjoying adult-oriented attractions, or seeking free activities, Montgomery will captivate you with its Southern charm and warm hospitality. Plan your visit, immerse yourself in the vibrant culture, and create unforgettable memories in this dynamic Alabama city.
Follow us on facebook