Welcome to Scranton, Pennsylvania, a city bursting with history, culture, and a vibrant atmosphere. Whether you’re a local looking for weekend plans or a visitor seeking fun-filled activities, Scranton has something for everyone. From museums and theaters to outdoor adventures and local events, you’ll find plenty of options to keep you entertained. In this article, we’ll explore the 15 best fun-filled things to do in Scranton, including activities for adults and highlights for the upcoming weekend.
- Steamtown National Historic Site: Begin your Scranton journey by visiting the Steamtown National Historic Site. Explore the museum, hop aboard a historic train, and immerse yourself in the rich railroad heritage of the Things to Do in Scranton.
- Nay Aug Park: Nay Aug Park is a beautiful urban oasis offering stunning waterfalls, hiking trails, picnic spots, and a treehouse-themed playground. Enjoy a leisurely stroll or hike through the park’s scenic trails.
- Electric City Escape: For an exhilarating experience, try Electric City Escape, an interactive escape room challenge. Test your problem-solving skills and teamwork as you work against the Things to Do in Scranton to solve puzzles and unlock the mystery.
- Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour: Delve into Scranton’s coal mining history with a Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour. Descend into the depths of an actual coal mine and learn about the challenges and triumphs of the miners.
- The Scranton Cultural Center at the Masonic Temple: Step into architectural grandeur at The Scranton Cultural Center, housed in a magnificent Masonic Temple. Catch a live performance, concert, or theatrical production in this historic venue.
- Montage Mountain Resorts: If you’re visiting during the winter months, head to Montage Mountain Resorts for skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing. Enjoy the thrill of gliding down the slopes surrounded by breathtaking mountain views.
- Everhart Museum: Discover the art, natural history, and science exhibits at the Everhart Museum. From ancient artifacts to contemporary artwork, this museum offers a diverse collection to captivate visitors of all Things to Do in Scranton.
- The Marketplace at Steamtown: Indulge in some retail therapy at The Marketplace at Steamtown. Explore the unique shops, boutiques, and specialty stores, and find the perfect souvenir or gift to take home.
- The Scranton Iron Furnaces: Take a step back in time at The Scranton Iron Furnaces, a National Historic Landmark. Explore the remnants of the ironmaking industry and learn about Scranton’s industrial heritage.
- La Festa Italiana: If you’re lucky enough to be in Scranton during La Festa Italiana, don’t miss this annual celebration of Italian culture. Enjoy live, delicious Italian food, and a lively Things to Do in Scranton.
- Lackawanna River Heritage Trail: Embark on a scenic hike or bike ride along the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail. This multi-use trail offers picturesque views, wildlife sightings, and a chance to connect with nature.
- The Electric City Trolley Museum: Learn about Scranton’s trolley history at The Electric City Trolley Museum. Hop aboard a vintage trolley and take a ride through the city while discovering the role trolleys played in its development.
- The Scranton Public Market: Satisfy your culinary cravings at The Scranton Public Market. Sample local delicacies, browse artisanal products, and enjoy a vibrant foodie Things to Do in Scranton.
- The Mall at Steamtown: For a dose of shopping and entertainment, visit The Mall at Steamtown. Explore a wide range of stores, catch a movie at the cinema, or enjoy a meal at one of the restaurants.
- Lackawanna County Coal Mine Museum: Complete your Scranton adventure with a visit to the Lackawanna County Coal Mine Museum. Learn about the region’s coal mining heritage through exhibits, artifacts, and guided tours.
Read More: Things to Do in Telluride
What are some free things to do in Scranton, PA, today?
Enjoy a leisurely walk through Nay Aug Park, visit The Scranton Iron Furnaces, or explore the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail.
What are the best activities for adults in Scranton, PA?
Adults can visit the Steamtown National Historic Site, attend live performances at The Scranton Cultural Center, or take part in an escape room challenge at Things to Do in Scranton.
Are there any special events happening in Scranton this weekend?
Check the local event calendar for concerts, art exhibitions, and festivals happening in Scranton this Things to Do in Scranton.
Can you recommend any outdoor activities in Scranton?
Explore the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail, hike in Nay Aug Park, or hit the slopes at Montage Mountain Resorts during the winter season.
Is there a museum in Scranton dedicated to its coal mining history?
Yes, the Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour offers an immersive experience Things to Do in Scranton Scranton’s coal mining past.
What is the best time to visit Scranton, PA?
Scranton is enjoyable year-round, but the summer months offer pleasant weather for outdoor activities.
Are there any family-friendly attractions in Scranton?
Families can visit the Everhart Museum, enjoy the treehouse-themed playground at Nay Aug Park, or take a ride on the vintage trolleys at The Electric City Trolley Things to Do in Scranton.
Are there any unique shopping experiences in Scranton?
Explore The Marketplace at Steamtown for unique shops and boutiques, or browse the local vendors at The Scranton Public Market.
Can I go skiing in Scranton?
Yes, Montage Mountain Resorts offers skiing and snowboarding opportunities during the winter months.
Is there a vibrant food scene in Scranton?
Absolutely! Visit The Scranton Public Market, dine at local restaurants in downtown Scranton, or enjoy the diverse culinary options at The Mall at Steamtown.
Scranton, PA, is a city filled with fun and excitement for visitors of all ages. From exploring the rich railroad history at Steamtown National Historic Site to immersing yourself in nature at Nay Aug Park and indulging in cultural experiences at The Scranton Cultural Center, there’s no shortage of entertainment in Scranton. The city offers a perfect blend of outdoor adventures, historical sites, cultural attractions, and vibrant events. So whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or seeking fun-filled activities today, Scranton is ready to welcome you with open arms. Get ready for an unforgettable experience in the Electric City!
Follow us on facebook