Located in the heart of Mississippi, Jackson is a vibrant and culturally rich city known for its history, music, and Southern charm. With its lively arts scene, delicious cuisine, and outdoor recreational opportunities, Jackson offers a variety of activities for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re seeking historic landmarks, art galleries, or outdoor adventures, this guide will showcase the 15 best things to do in Jackson, including options for adults and ideas for this weekend. Get ready to immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Jackson, MS, and create unforgettable memories Things to Do in Jackson.
- Mississippi Museum of Art: Start your exploration of Jackson with a visit to the Mississippi Museum of Art. Discover a collection of fine art, including works by renowned Mississippi artists. The museum also hosts rotating exhibitions and educational programs for all ages Things to Do in Jackson.
- Mississippi Civil Rights Museum: Gain insight into the history of the Civil Rights Movement at the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Explore interactive exhibits that chronicle the struggles and triumphs of the movement, providing a deeper understanding of this significant chapter in American history Things to Do in Jackson.
- Fondren District: Stroll through the Fondren District, a vibrant neighborhood filled with local shops, art galleries, and restaurants. Browse unique boutiques, appreciate local art, and savor the flavors of Southern cuisine Things to Do in Jackson.
- LeFleur’s Bluff State Park: Escape into nature at LeFleur’s Bluff State Park, located along the banks of the Pearl River. Enjoy hiking, fishing, boating, and picnicking amidst the beautiful scenery. The park also offers a disc golf course and a nature trail.
- Eudora Welty House and Garden: Visit the Eudora Welty House and Garden, the former home of the renowned author Eudora Welty. Take a guided tour to learn about Welty’s life and literary achievements, and explore the beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Mississippi Children’s Museum: If you’re visiting with children, the Mississippi Children’s Museum is a must-visit. Engage in interactive exhibits and hands-on activities that promote learning and creativity.
- Hal & Mal’s: Experience the lively music scene of Jackson at Hal & Mal’s. This popular venue hosts live performances by local musicians, offering a mix of blues, jazz, and rock. Enjoy great music, good food, and a vibrant atmosphere.
- Old Capitol Museum: Step back in time with a visit to the Old Capitol Museum, housed in a stunning Greek Revival-style building. Explore the exhibits that highlight the history and significance of the Old Capitol, once the state’s seat of government.
- Mississippi Museum of Natural Science: Embark on a journey through Mississippi’s natural wonders at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. Discover exhibits on wildlife, geology, and ecosystems, and even encounter live animals in the museum’s aquarium and outdoor habitats.
- Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center: Immerse yourself in African-American history and culture at the Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center. The museum showcases the contributions of African-Americans to Mississippi’s history through exhibits and artifacts.
- Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum: Sports enthusiasts will enjoy a visit to the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Explore exhibits that celebrate the state’s sports history, featuring notable athletes and their achievements.
- Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum: Discover the agricultural heritage of Mississippi at the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum. Explore exhibits on farming, forestry, and rural life, and visit the Heritage Center to experience a living history farm.
- Highland Village: Shop and dine at Highland Village, a premier shopping center in Jackson. Browse upscale boutiques, indulge in delicious cuisine at the various restaurants, and enjoy the charming ambiance of this open-air mall.
- Mississippi State Capitol: Take a guided tour of the Mississippi State Capitol, a magnificent building with stunning architecture and a rich history. Learn about the state’s government and explore the grand interior spaces.
- Thalia Mara Hall: Catch a performance at Thalia Mara Hall, Jackson’s premier performing arts venue. From Broadway shows to ballet performances, this venue hosts a variety of cultural events throughout the year.
Read more:- Things to Do in Franklin
Things to Do in Jackson, MS, on This Weekend:
Looking for specific activities to enjoy this weekend in Jackson? Here are some suggestions to make the most of your time:
- Fondren First Thursday: Join the monthly Fondren First Thursday event, held on the first Thursday of each month. Explore art galleries, enjoy live music, and indulge in food and drink specials in the Fondren District.
- Mississippi Farmers Market: Visit the Mississippi Farmers Market, open every Saturday, for a taste of fresh local produce, handmade crafts, and delicious treats. Enjoy a leisurely stroll and support local vendors.
- Mississippi Petrified Forest: Embark on a scenic nature walk at the Mississippi Petrified Forest. This unique park features ancient petrified logs and provides an opportunity to learn about Mississippi’s geological history.
- Craft Beer Tour: Embark on a craft beer tour and visit local breweries and taprooms. Sample a variety of craft beers and learn about the brewing process from passionate brewers.
- Mississippi Museum of Art’s Art Party: Check the schedule for the Mississippi Museum of Art’s Art Party, a lively event featuring music, art activities, food trucks, and a chance to explore the museum’s exhibits after hours.
What are some fun things to do in Jackson, MS?
Some fun things to do in Jackson, MS, include visiting the Mississippi Museum of Art, exploring the Fondren District, and enjoying live music at Hal & Mal’s.
What can adults do in Jackson, MS?
Adults can enjoy activities such as visiting the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum, exploring the Old Capitol Museum, and experiencing the vibrant music scene.
What are the top attractions in Jackson for a weekend visit?
The top attractions in Jackson for a weekend visit include the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, and the Thalia Mara Hall.
Are there any free things to do in Jackson today?
Yes, there are several free things to do in Jackson today, such as visiting the Mississippi Petrified Forest, exploring the Mississippi State Capitol, and attending the Mississippi Farmers Market.
What events are happening in Jackson this weekend?
Check local event listings for art parties, live music performances, and festivals happening in Jackson this weekend. The Fondren First Thursday event is a popular recurring event.
Are there any outdoor activities in Jackson, MS?
Yes, Jackson offers outdoor activities such as visiting LeFleur’s Bluff State Park, exploring the Mississippi Petrified Forest, and participating in craft beer tours.
Where can I find live music in Jackson, MS?
: You can find live music performances at venues like Hal & Mal’s, Thalia Mara Hall, and local bars and clubs in the Fondren District.
What historical sites are worth visiting in Jackson?
Historical sites worth visiting in Jackson include the Old Capitol Museum, Eudora Welty House and Garden, and the Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center.
Is Jackson, MS, family-friendly?
Yes, Jackson is family-friendly, with attractions like the Mississippi Children’s Museum, LeFleur’s Bluff State Park, and the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science catering to families.
Can I take a guided tour of Jackson, MS?
Yes, guided tours are available in Jackson. The Mississippi State Capitol offers guided tours, and various companies provide guided city tours, showcasing the city’s history and culture.
Jackson, MS, offers a diverse range of activities and attractions that cater to all interests. Whether you’re exploring the city’s rich history and culture, enjoying the vibrant arts scene, or indulging in outdoor adventures, there is something for everyone in Jackson. This weekend, make sure to check out the Fondren First Thursday event, visit the Mississippi Farmers Market, and immerse yourself in the dynamic music scene. With its blend of history, arts, and Southern hospitality, Jackson is a destination that guarantees a fun-filled and memorable experience. Plan your visit, embrace the local charm, and discover why Jackson, MS, should be on your travel itinerary.
Follow us on facebook