Nestled along the banks of the Savannah River, Augusta, Georgia, is a city rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a food lover, Augusta has something to captivate every visitor. In this article, we will delve into the best things to do in Augusta, GA, including options tailored for adults and weekend getaways. From iconic landmarks to hidden gems, let’s embark on a journey through the Jewel of the South Things to Do in Augusta.
Exploring Augusta on This Weekend:
Make the most of your weekend in Augusta with a range of captivating activities. Whether you’re interested in history, art, or outdoor adventures, there’s something for everyone. Here are some delightful activities to consider Things to Do in Augusta:
- Augusta Riverwalk: Take a leisurely stroll along the scenic Augusta Riverwalk, a beautiful waterfront promenade lined with shops, restaurants, and breathtaking views of the Savannah River Things to Do in Augusta.
- Augusta Museum of History: Immerse yourself in the city’s rich history at the Augusta Museum of History. Explore fascinating exhibits that showcase Augusta’s past, including its role in the Civil War and its connection to golf Things to Do in Augusta.
- Morris Museum of Art: Delve into the world of Southern art at the Morris Museum of Art. Admire a collection that spans two centuries, featuring works by renowned artists from the region Things to Do in Augusta.
- Phinizy Swamp Nature Park: Escape into nature at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park, a 1,100-acre nature reserve. Take a walk along the boardwalks and trails, observe wildlife, and enjoy the serenity of the wetlands.
Things to Do in Augusta Today:
If you’re looking for immediate excitement and memorable experiences in Augusta, consider these options for a day of fun:
- Augusta National Golf Club: While visiting the renowned Augusta National Golf Club may be reserved for a lucky few during The Masters tournament, golf enthusiasts can still admire the club’s beauty from the outside and visit the Augusta National Golf Shop.
- Augusta Canal National Heritage Area: Explore the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area and enjoy activities such as boat tours, kayaking, biking, and hiking along the scenic trails. Learn about the canal’s historical significance and its role in the city’s industrial past.
- Savannah Rapids Park: Visit Savannah Rapids Park and indulge in outdoor activities such as picnicking, fishing, and walking along the scenic trails. Admire the picturesque views of the Savannah River and the historic Headgates.
- The Augusta Market: Experience the vibrant local scene at The Augusta Market, a popular farmer’s market held on Saturdays. Explore a variety of vendors offering fresh produce, crafts, and delicious food.
Things to Do in Augusta for Adults:
Augusta offers a variety of activities tailored to adults seeking unique experiences and moments of relaxation. Consider these options for a fantastic time in the city:
- Augusta Distilleries and Breweries: Embark on a tour of Augusta’s distilleries and breweries, where you can sample local craft spirits and beers. Learn about the production processes and savor the flavors of the region.
- Augusta Canal Moonlight Music Cruise: Enjoy a Moonlight Music Cruise along the Augusta Canal, featuring live music, scenic views, and a memorable evening on the water. Relax and unwind as you soak in the ambiance.
- Downtown Augusta Dining: Indulge in Augusta’s vibrant dining scene by visiting the various restaurants, cafes, and bars in the downtown area. From Southern cuisine to international flavors, there’s a wide array of culinary delights to discover.
Read more:- Things to Do in Omaha
Free Things to Do in Augusta Today:
Enjoying Augusta doesn’t have to strain your budget. Here are some fantastic free activities to consider:
- Augusta’s Historic Downtown: Take a self-guided walking tour through Augusta’s historic downtown district and admire the beautiful architecture, including restored buildings and antebellum mansions.
- Augusta Common: Visit Augusta Common, a downtown park that hosts various events throughout the year. Enjoy a picnic, relax on the green spaces, or catch a free concert or festival.
- The Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson: Explore the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson, a historic site that offers free guided tours. Learn about the life and early years of the 28th President of the United States.
Augusta, GA, with its blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, offers a myriad of activities for visitors of all ages. From historical landmarks to outdoor adventures and culinary delights, the Jewel of the South has something to captivate every traveler. Plan your visit to Augusta today and uncover the hidden treasures of this charming city!
FAQs: Things to Do in Augusta Today
What is the best time to visit Augusta, GA?
The best time to visit Augusta is during the spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) when the weather is mild and pleasant for outdoor activities.
Are there any annual events or festivals in Augusta?
Augusta hosts several annual events and festivals, including the Masters Tournament, Arts in the Heart of Augusta, and the Greek Festival.
Are there any outdoor activities for adventure enthusiasts?
Adventure enthusiasts can enjoy activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding, and hiking in the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area and nearby natural parks.
Can you recommend any local restaurants in Augusta?
Some popular local restaurants in Augusta include Frog Hollow Tavern, The Bee’s Knees, and Craft & Vine.
Are there any historical landmarks in Augusta?
Yes, Augusta is home to several historical landmarks, including the Augusta Museum of History, the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson, and the Ezekiel Harris House.
Is there a vibrant nightlife scene in Augusta?
Augusta offers a lively nightlife scene with a variety of bars, clubs, live music venues, and breweries in the downtown area.
Can you suggest any shopping destinations in Augusta?
Augusta Mall and Surrey Center are popular shopping destinations, offering a mix of national retailers, boutique stores, and specialty shops.
Are there any art galleries or museums in Augusta?
Yes, art enthusiasts can visit the Morris Museum of Art and the Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art to explore contemporary and local artwork.
Are there any golf courses open to the public in Augusta?
Yes, there are several public golf courses in Augusta, including Forest Hills Golf Club and Augusta Municipal Golf Course.
Are there any nearby day trip options from Augusta?
Within a short drive from Augusta, you can visit the historic city of Aiken, South Carolina, or explore the natural beauty of Clarks Hill Lake and Mistletoe State Park.
Follow us on facebook